serving dIssolution of marriage documents


why you need a professional...

We have extensive experience handling with sensitivity the service of dissolution of marriage proceedings in new zealand and overseas

Getting a divorce can be stressful. Even though you will have lived apart for more than two years (as is required in New Zealand before applying for a divorce), this often doesn't always mean a straightforward, simple process.

​You need a professional who knows the court rules and will also take into consideration your personal circumstances, i.e., if you have children, you may prefer that the documents are not served while they are with your ex-partner.

We work closely with the dissolutions team at the family court and are very familiar with their process and requirements. We understand the paperwork (it looks more confusing than it is!), and our specialised service includes completing as much of this as possible for you, and we can guide you where necessary.

​If a person decides to be evasive, or is difficult to locate, we can help with options to ensure service is effected

​We are with you right through the whole process, from when the court issues the documents for service, to the filing after completion - the final step.

Two types of applications...


If BOTH you and your partner want a divorce


Both you and your partner can ASK the Court for a Marriage of Dissolution Order together. If you agree to appear in court together the Dissolution Order can be made on the day. If you decide not to go to court, the court will make the Order and you will be legally divorced 1 month later.

JOINT APPLICATION for Order dissolving a Marriage or Civil Union.


If only ONE of you wants a divorce


If you need to apply for a divorce on your own.

You need to ask the Family Court to make a decision (known as APPLYING for an Order). The Family Court then issues documents that you need to ensure are SERVED PERSONALLY on your ex partner.
You cannot serve them yourself. And that is where we come in...

ONE PARTY APPLICATION for Order dissolving a Marriage or Civil Union.

why not just ask a friend??

Avoid awkward confrontations

As an independent party we are not personally involved in what can often be an emotional time. You may find asking a family member or friend awkward for one, or both of the parties.

We know court requirements

Our team of professional process servers are aware of court rules around dissolution of marriage. We know what paperwork is required to confirm service was effected.

Impartial to the proceedings

Process servers are not party to the proceedings and have no vested interest in the outcome. We often find a respondent is more comfortable being served by an unbiased, third party.

Let us manage the service of your divorce papers

What if you don't have the Respondents address?

Dissolution of marriage documents can be served anywhere, as long as they are served personally on the respondent. They do not need to be served on a respondent at their home address. In some cases, the respondent may not want the applicant to know where they live. In these instances, we can arrange to meet at a public location like a shopping centre.

If you do not have an address for service for your ex-partner, there are resources we can use to try and locate them for you. Depending on what information you do have will depend on the course of action. We can make enquiries using a variety of tools to complete an address search.

What if the Respondent is currently living overseas?

We have experience serving dissolution of marriage documents in a number of countries overseas, including, but not limited to, Australia, United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, USA and Canada.

Some countries, where English is not the first language, are more difficult, as documents may need to be translated. Pricing varies from country to country. Usually based on the location of the service, a rural delivery will be more expensive than in a main city. If the person being served decides to be evasive, or we need to make enquiries to locate their address, this may add extra costs to the account.

What if the Respondent is evasive?

It doesn't happen very often, but there are the odd instances where a person decides that they do not want to be served. If this does happen, we would first supply you with a report, and suggest a possible course of action. 

We recently engaged a process server in the United Kingdom to serve dissolution papers on a New Zealander living there. After several attempts at service, it was established that the respondent was actively avoiding service. We suggested the applicant apply for an order for substituted service by way of Facebook and provided supporting evidence that the respondent was active on Facebook. The order was granted, and we served the respondent via Facebook, providing the New Zealand Family Court with a supporting affidavit of service.

If you are considering engaging a process server to serve your documents, you want to know that they will keep a thorough history of all service attempts – in the event that an application for substituted service is required. And even better, if they prepare this information for you, to make the application for substituted service straight forward.

How do you serve divorce papers by facebook?

Before you can serve documents on a respondent on Facebook you will need an order for substituted service. The court will often grant one if attempts at personal service have failed, or in some cases if the person is in a foreign country and personal service is simply not an option.

Docuserve has a business Facebook account that we can use to serve dissolution of marriage documents. Once we have served the document, we draw up an affidavit of service, exhibiting relevant screenshots highlighting the recipient's profile, and the time and date the document was sent.

lets get started

Ready to go? Send us...


    Includes Notice to Respondent, copies of your Application, Affidavit, marriage certificate and information sheet.


    Blank Affidavit of Service (Form G8) and Affidavit of Identification, the court should supply you with a copy.


    This can be emailed to us.


    Address for service, phone number, work address of respondent.

  • Send

    In addition to the service pack, please let us know any other information about the respondent that may assist with service, i.e., phone number of respondent, place of work.
    We will confirm receipt and dispatch with service agent.

  • Serve

    Our experienced team of professionals will serve your documents, and send you a service report.

  • after service

    We will draft the 

    • Affidavit of Service and our agent will have this witnessed at court before a court registrar.
    • Affidavit of Identification - we will draft this for you.
  • We will return to you

    The sworn Affidavit of Service and drafted Affidavit of Identification.

    You need to take both documents to have witnessed at your local court or JP and then send both documents to the Wellington Family Court, before the due date of the files review.


"Wow can’t believe how easy and quick this was. Thank you so much Kathryn for all of your help and insanely efficient service we truly appreciate how easy and friendly you were to deal with."

L Gallagher
Private Service, Dissolution of Marriage

"Hi Docuserve.
Thank you very much for your services!
I look forward to using your services again."

M Facoory
Private Service, Dissolution of Marriage

Scroll to Top